Hickory High School
This 78-year-old high-school-turned-primary-school, located in Nineveh in southern Johnson County, became the Hickory school. The building housed 172 students in grades K through 4. The facility was scheduled to close at the end of that school year, and the students would move to a new school in nearby Trafalgar.
The Hickory gym
The 1921 Knightstown gym in southwestern Henry County was selected as the Huskers’ home court. It hadn’t been used much for basketball since 1966, when the town’s students moved to their newly constructed high school.
The Cedar Knob gym
The gym of St. Philip Neri Catholic School in downtown Indianapolis was built in 1926. It was transformed into the yellow and green gym of the Cedar Knob Knights for the film’s away game.
The site of the film’s sectional game
The 800-seat 56-year-old College Avenue Gym in Brownsburg, in northeastern Hendricks County, hosted the movie’s sectional game. It hadn’t been used as the high school’s home court since 1957, when a new gym was built.
The site of the film’s regional game
The 2,200-seat Memorial Gymnasium was built in Lebanon, in central Boone County, in 1931. Rick Mount, the first high school athlete to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated, played there from 1962 to 1966. The gym and the 1922 high school next door were vacated in 1968 after a new school and gym were constructed in another part of town. The newly renamed Memory Hall saw sporadic use after that.
Butler Fieldhouse, site of the state-finals game
Hinkle Fieldhouse, on the campus of Butler University in Indianapolis, originally was named Butler Fieldhouse. Built in 1928, with 15,000 seats it was the largest basketball gym in the U.S. until 1950. The high school basketball state finals were played there until 1971. The facility was renamed Hinkle Fieldhouse in 1966 to honor legendary coach Tony Hinkle, who led the Bulldogs for 41 seasons. It was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Terhune (seen in the opening credits and in a deleted scene on the Collector’s Edition and 2012 Blu-ray DVDs)
This town of about 65 residents was located in northeastern Boone County.
The small white church in the opening credits
This tiny 96-year-old church was located between Pittsboro and Lebanon, in southern Boone County, at the northeast corner of the intersection of W 600 S and S 25 W (Pittsboro Road).
The white barn with a basketball hoop in the opening credits
This barn stood west of Sheridan on Indiana 47, just west of N 1200 E, in far eastern Boone County.
The “town meeting” church
The 91-year-old Elizaville Baptist Church was situated west of U.S. 421 and just south of State Road 47 in northeastern Boone County, at 5946 N. Howard Street.
The red barn on which GO HUSKERS is being painted
This barn, seen in the montage before the sectional game, was located southeast of New Richmond on W 750 N.
The hospital where Shooter enters rehab
The Wishard Nursing Museum, part of the Wishard Memorial Hospital campus, was at 1001 West 10th Street in Indianapolis, on the second floor of the Bryce Building. The museum was located in what was originally the lounge area of the nurses’ residence.
The Avon Theater, whose marquee is shown briefly on the night of the state finals
The Avon, a landmark in downtown Lebanon, was built in 1924.
The rain-soaked town shown briefly on the night of the state finals
This town was Amo, in southwestern Hendricks County.
The interior of Principal Cletus Summers’ house
This 1880 Italianate-style house stood west of Danville, in central Hendricks County. In its first 130 years it had only three different owners.
Principal Cletus Summers’ property
This house, barn, and garage were south of New Richmond. The garage was used as the exterior of Norman’s house.
Myra and Opal Fleener’s property and the interior of Norman’s house
This 1847 house was located on 80 acres southwest of Danville. The property had been in the same family for four generations. The kitchen and dining room were used to film scenes that took place in the Fleener house. The rear enclosed porch was transformed into Norman’s kitchen, and the adjoining parlor became his living room.
This two-story cabin was situated in a wooded area known as Camp Short, south of Danville at the end of S 101 E. Created around 1905, the camp included baseball, tennis, and swimming facilities, as well as a shooting range.
The harvest scene (not seen in the film; included on the Collector’s Edition and 2012 Blu-ray DVDs)
The daylong corn-harvesting scene was filmed south of Danville at the intersection of W 200 S and S 75 W.
Coach Dale’s journey toward Hickory in the opening credits began on U.S. 40 near Stilesville, in southwestern Hendricks County, and continued on other Montgomery County roads.
The iron truss Brown Bridge, which Coach Dale drove over, was built in 1913. It ran north and south and was 192 feet long. It crossed Sugar Creek on County Road 175 East, just north of I-74 and Crawfordsville, in central Montgomery County.
See when filming occurred at each location.
Learn what happened to the filming locations.
Indiana Map with Filming Sites Indicated by Basketball Icons